Need a quote for car insurance? What details do I need to get a car insurance quote?

Based on online independent research by Consumer Intelligence (June ’17). 50% of car insurance customers could save £290.38.

Details of the car

The car’s number plate is useful, but not essential to get a quote. Please declare any modifications.

No-claims bonus (NCB) 
Details of your NCB in years. You can request this from your insurance provider.

Details of any other drivers 
You’ll need other drivers’ names and licence details to add them to any policy.

Driving licence & convictions
Type of licence; how long you’ve had it; details of any points or disqualifications from the last 5 years.

Previous claims or accidents
Date, claim cost and accident type for any accidents or claims in the last 5 years.

What kind of insurance should I get?
When you get a quote, we’ll ask you what kind of insurance you’re looking for.
There are three main levels of cover to choose from:

Third-party is the lowest level of cover available. It insures you against damage caused to someone else or their property, including your passengers, as the result of an accident. It doesn’t cover your car against repair or replacement.
Third-party, fire and theft offers the same level of cover as third-party, but also covers your car for repair or replacement if it’s stolen or damaged by fire.
Comprehensive offers the most protection, covering you and your car, as well as other people and their property.

What are the different types of car insurance available?
A standard policy will usually cover a single car for 12 months. But, depending on your needs, other types are available. These include:

Multi-car: Insure all the cars at your address and get a discount.
Temporary: Short-term cover from one to 28 days.
Black box/telematics: Uses an app on your phone or box installed in your car to monitor your driving. Information such as when you drive, your speed, braking and handling is captured and shared with the insurance company to base policy prices on.
Learner: Cover for those learning to drive in their own or someone else’s car.
Classic car: Cover specifically designed for owners of classic cars. For insurance purposes, a classic car can be any car that’s older than 15 years.
Business: If you use your car for more than just domestic use, including business driving away from your normal place of work, you’ll need a business policy.

Leave a Reply